welcome. everything I write here is something I felt to be important to some degree; game reviews, life updates/vents, and philosophical musings. I do my best to make my statements truthful. everyone is welcome to post comments, provided they are relevant.

12.03.2006

FFXII, LEGO SW2, and some stuff

So i tried FF XII. It looks pretty darn good for an rpg, but tbh that whole genre isn't grabbing my interest lately. some flaws: main character's voice actor. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN SO MUCH? Curse you, Sqare Enix! There is a new way to improve your characters, allowing you to make them highly specialized or utility characters depending on your play style and time spent hacking at monsters. I don't know how feasible character maxing is though. You can move around during battles, which do not require load times, but it's not usually possible to dodge attacks in that manner. I did find it very cool to have some monsters wandering around that you cannot beat at all early on... there is a small T-rex that will take your party members down in one hit each, and eats other monsters to gain strength. (attack: 0 dmg, me:"OH SHI--!!!") When I get back into RPG mode, I'll get this game.

LEGO Star Wars 2 on the 360... not much different than the other systems, aside from achievements. However, I might be crazy, but I'd swear that it's harder. I seem to die a lot more, making the "undefeated" achievements a real headache. Things are a bit shinier, but otherwise not worth the extra $10 or whatever it is compared to PS2 price.

EVE-Online got a big gameplay and content patch a few days ago. The empire factions are either at war or soon-to-be at war, so I expect more missions will have a stronger impact on faction rating. What interests me more is the new rigging and salvage features, allowing you (with the right skills) to make special improvements to your ship (similar to implants for your clone), and get special components from wreckages. I still have a week before i can use the salvager module though. One other thing; it's now possible to warp within 1km of landmarks like stations and jump gates instead of forcing 15km of travel, which is a huge bonus for slow ships. This was implemented so that we can delete our "instant bookmarks" and clear up space on the database, drastically improving performance. I know I had about 400 of those bookmarks... they were both a pain in the ass, and extremely handy. there's also new ships available, but none i'm interested in.

I went christmas/birthday game shopping with my mom, so I won't need to buy anything new for a while. we got: New Super Mario Bros., Elite Beat Agents, Okami, Tomb Raider: Legend, uhh... crap, I know there was something else. guess I'll get a surprise after all...

No comments: